Friday, November 21, 2014

DIY Sharpie Mugs


I recently discovered the Sharpie mug craze. I will admit, I am eager to jump on the band wagon. I love simple crafts like this that are cheap, easy and can say so much with little expense or effort. These mugs are great for kids who want their own personal mug for hot chocolate or need to give their favourite teacher a Christmas gift. 
So I have decided to give it a go. I read somewhere along the way that the usual suggested 30 minutes of baking wasn't enough, that doing so for an hour would ensure the permanency of the ink. I am first going to try the basic black sharpie and bake for an hour. Then I will wash it both by hand and dishwasher, microwave it, bleach it. See if it truly is permanent. 
I found other suggestions that might work better as well. Apparently Sharpie has oil based markers, and the ones in metallic work well. I am going to pick one up as well and write on the other side of my test mug to see which marker holds up.
Wish me luck! I am not a crafty lady but I think I can actually pull this off.

Here is a link to a great blog that offered good tips for the project.
http://thegoldjellybean.com/2013/01/testing-out-diy-sharpie-mugs.html

Ciao for now!
Lee-Ann




No comments:

Post a Comment