Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Get your nom on with this lemon garlic chicken!

Lebanese Lemon Garlic Chicken and Potatoes

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am fanatical about my love for all things lemon. I love the vibrant yellow colour, the crisp clean scent, the tangy sour deliciousness that they yield. Recently I also discovered a love for Mediterranean/Middle Eastern food thanks to a great restaraunt in Toronto, Ontario called Byblos. It was in that fine establishment that I developed a serious taste for the fresh, vibrant flavours of Egyptian and Lebanese cruise.
That single dining experience resulted in countless hours of scouring the Internet in search of as many recipes as I could find. One such recipe I came across for Lebanese Lemon Garlic Chicken. When I read the ingredient list I thought it would be a great recipe to have under my belt as most of the time I had the ingredients in the house.
So I whipped it up, quite easily I might add, and BAM! Instant hit. The dish is pungent with garlic, this is not date night food, so if you want to get lucky I suggest you hold off on this dish. The tang of the lemon brightened the dish and the addition of a middle eastern 7 spice mix topped it all off to perfection.
An easy to make one dish meal that is sure to please most guests, except for your vampire friends.





Lebanese Baked Garlic Chicken with Potatoes


Recipe: Baked Garlic Chicken and Potatoes – Djej w Batata Bil Sayniyyeh
Summary: A traditional garlic chicken dish from Lebanon.
Baked Garlic Chicken Ingredients (4 servings)

INGREDIENTS

4lbs of chicken legs/quarters/breasts (I prefer thighs)
5medium potatoes
20cloves of garlic (or 1.5 heads) (this is the amount the original recipe calls for. Too much for me so I use half the garlic...purely up to you)
1cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
4table spoons of olive oil
salt to taste
2 tsp Lebanese 7-spices

INSTRUCTIONS

1.Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
2.Make cuts in chicken in order to allow for the spices and garlic sauce to seep deep inside.
3.Rub chicken with a table spoon or two of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and 1 tsp Lebanese 7-spices. Quickly sear the chicken to add colour and flavour. About 5 minutes, then transfer to baking dish.
4.Peel potatoes then cut them in disks of about 1/2 inch, salt lightly.
5.Place chicken on bottom of baking tray (preferably metal), place potatoes on top, sprinkle with remaining spice blend and bake at 400F (medium heat) for about 30 minutes.
6.Meanwhile place the garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2-3 table spoons of olive oil in a blender/food processor and spin for 4-5 minutes, add the lemon juice and spin for another 4-5 minutes until you have a nice lemony-garlicky sauce.
7.Once the chicken has baked 30 minutes, take the tray out of the oven and very carefully drain any excess liquids/fat/water that you see on the bottom.
8.Pour the garlic sauce all over it while mixing it well with the potatoes, put back in the oven and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes until the potatoes turn start to brown.
9.Serve warm.
10.Note: You may need to consume an unusually large quantity of toothpaste afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment