Friday, April 23, 2010

Penne alla Puttanesca

Life has been pretty hum drum lately. Nothing much has been happening, the hubby and kids are well. I am well, although a bit frustrated and tired of dieting.

Last weekend I grew so tired of depriving myself of good pasta and wine, I cracked and prepared an awesome Sunday night meal for the family. The recipe I used came courtesy of my new favorite cooking website called Italian Food Net. This is a great site I recently discovered and have since cooked three of their recipes. I love this site for a few reasons: 1) I love Italian Food! 2) I am trying to learn to speak Italian and this is a great website to learn to talk about food. Last but not least 3) What woman can resist cute Italian guys cooking great food...seriously! The recipes on this site are super easy to follow and very, very tasty.

I chose to cook up a great dish called Penne alla Puttanesca (penne with whore's sauce - roughly translated). When I took my first bite of this dish I did feel a bit like a dirty whore, cheating on my bathroom scale and healthy smoothies. But I can assure you, this is still a healthy recipe!


Penne alla Puttanesca

INGREDIENTS: (4 servings)
320 Gr.(11.28 Oz.) Ridged Penne pasta
500 Gr. (17.64 Oz.) Peeled tomatoes
100 Gr. (3.53 Oz.) Black pitted olives
3 Anchovy fillets
3 Garlic cloves without core, crushed
1 Fresh hot pepper
Some minced capers
Fresh chopped parsley
Extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup white wine
Salt

Place a large pot of water over high heat
When the water begins to boil add salt and pour in the pasta
In a frying pan over medium heat pour in the olive oil and add garlic
when it begins to brown add fresh hot pepper, the anchovies fillets and cook until they dissolve into a paste
When the anchovies has melted, remove the garlic, add minced caper, pitted olives and a pinch of salt
At this point add ½ cup dry white wine and let it reduce
Once the wine has evaporated add peeled tomatoes hand squeezed
Let it cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes adding a little salt
Drain the pasta put into the pan, saute, transfer it to a serving plate,
garnish with chopped parsley, drizzle with olive oil and serve.

I suggest you give this recipe a try you will love it! I also suggest you check out the video recipe as well...strictly for viewing pleasure ;) Penna alla Puttanesca Video Recipe

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but think of Lemony Snicket's whenever I hear or sea Puttanesca - have you seen it? Surely that makes it cooler.

    Also, your header image is just darling.

    I'm pretty sure I landed here via TheAwwButMum...but who can really be sure? /scratching head

    ReplyDelete