Sunday, September 26, 2010

A Child's 10 Commandments To Parents

This year the Ontario government introduced the full day  kindergarten program. Across the province about 600 schools are offering this new play based learning program to children entering junior and senior kindergarten. In the past the school that my children attend the program was daily for half day, which was perfectly fine for me and my little man (who is now in grade 1). I was torn about whether Gaby should attend full time JK in the fall. I felt she wasn't ready, that she was too young. Basically it all boiled down to this mother having a hard time letting go of her youngest child. I honestly felt as though the government was robbing me of my precious time with my daughter. I chose to be a SAHM so I could spend more time with my kids, then when the government designated our school as a full time kindergarten facility I was heartbroken.

Now that we are a couple of weeks into the new school year and my little angel seems to be getting along just fine I am slowly accepting the fact that my home is quiet and child free for 9 hours a day! What also made me feel better about handing my last born child over to the education system was this little paper that Gaby brought home from school the other day. I read it and tears welled up in my eyes but my heart filled with pride that my little girl is growing up and becoming a lovely, intelligent young lady.



A Child's 10 Commandments To Parents

1. Please don't expect Perfection. My hands are small. Whenever I make a bed, draw a picture or throw a ball it may not be perfect. My legs are short; please slow down so that I can keep up with you.

2. Let me Explore safely. My eyes have not seen the world as yours have; don't restrict me unnecessarily.

3. I am only little for a short time. Housework will always be there. Make time for me.

4. Explain things to me. Take time to explain things to me about this wonderful world and do so willingly.

5. My feelings are Tender. Please be sensitive to my needs; don't nag me all day long. Treat me as you would like to be treated. I will learn how to treat people from your example.

6. I am a special gift from God. Please treasure me a God intended you to do. Hold me accountable for my actions, give me guidelines to live by and discipline me in a loving manner.

7. Encourage me so I may grow. Please go easy on the criticism; remember, you can criticize the things I do without criticizing me.

8. Please, give me the freedom to make decisions concerning myself. Permit me to fail, so that I can learn from my mistakes. Then, someday, I will be prepared to make the kind of decisions life requires me to make.

9. Please don't do things over for me. Somehow that makes me feel that my efforts don't quite measure up to your expectations. I know it's hard, but please don't try to compare me with my brother or sister or other children.

10. Please love me unconditionally as I love you without any strings attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment