Monday, August 22, 2011

I made Limoncello!


I made Limoncello!, originally uploaded by leelicini.

The first time I had Limoncello I swear I heard the angels sing. I am a lover of all things lemon so naturally this is a spirit that speaks volumes to me.
I did much research and decided on this recipe for limoncello.

1 750ml bottle grain alcohol (Everclear)
10-12 organic lemons
5 cups water
3 cups sugar (or to taste)

Pour the booze into a large glass container with a tight fitting lid. Add the rind of the lemons. Remove the rind with a sharp potato peeler or super sharp knife. IMPORTANT! Be careful to not get any of the pith with the rind (the white stuff....it is bitter). Cover top of jar with plastic wrap then replace lid. Give it a swirl and put aside in a cool dark place for 2 to 4 weeks.

After the extraction period is up, drain the lemony boozy goodness into a cheesecloth, fine strainer...you get the point. Discard the rinds.
In a pot add 5 cups water. Bring to boil (my extra kick was to add the peel of one lemon while it was boiling...freshen up the lemon flavor). Add the sugar. Stir until dissolved. Let the syrup cool then add to the booze mixture.

Tada!!! Now you have limoncello! It is best to let the limoncello sit in the freezer for at least a week so the flavors can marry.
Enjoy this awesome drink straight from the freezer in a nice shot glass.

Limoncello is also nice served with some sparkling wine or over some vanilla gelato You can also make Limoncello Tiramisu as well. Just replace the coffee and rum with limoncello!! Delish!

Enjoy a taste of the Amalfi Coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment